.

Saturday, April 13, 2019

Observation Paper Essay Example for Free

annotation Paper EssayConformity is behavior change designed to match the actions of others. During my research, I found numerous examples of correctitive behavior. I often related conformity to adolescents due to the fact that they usually do their best to tense and fit in when it have it aways to group settings. This type of behavior can be seen in college students attending educational facilities away from home. Those that are in dorms tend to indulge in drinking even if they arent massive drinkers. They do this to conform to that of others and to be included in the fun and try and fit in. One finis example that I will discuss prior to getting into my own observation, was the field that was d peerless my Crandall in 1988 which examined normative social influences involving bulimia in college sororities. Sororities are the true definition of conformity and those that dont conform are usually not allowed to continue to pledge.In the particular sororities that were exami ned, Crandall found that it had its own norm when it came to the mature amount of food to eat and the popularity within the sorority was associated with adhering to this norm. Those that cute to be a part of the sororities necessary to conform to the norm and fell into a bulimic state. These girls had to of known this was not healthy for them yet they wanted to continue to become of part of this group and follow the norm that was set out. To me, this is just ridiculous. Some of us have issues with conforming and I believe Im one of those people.The observation that I headstrong to conduct was that of a military setting. I decided to do this based on the fact that when I was in the military, there were times when I struggled with those appointed everyplace me beca intake I knew the tasks that they were giving me were wrong. I wasnt willing to conform when I knew it wasnt right. This is where my issue with authority came into play. The military is one of, if not the largest, pla que that requires conformity to the fullest. Those that dont conform will be punished. During my reading I found a Japanese saying that really hit close to home.The nail that sticks up gets hammered down. What that performer to me is that its better to not stand out in the group provided rather conform and fall amongst them. Prior to the start of my observation, I had a background of the military setting so I guess we could call that an unfair advantage because maybe I didnt go into this assignment with open-mindedness. I had the assumed idea that those beingness observed wouldconform to the standards set forth by the military authorised in charge of them regardless if they thought that it was right/wrong.I envisioned that normative pressure would come into play since those that are in authoritative position are respected and looked up to. So, in dress to support my assumption, I decided to have my wife, who is currently active duty and a Division Officer, incite me. She didnt do this by choice, but I had her conform I asked her to give personnel in her division orders that they would know were wrong. For instance, she gave three separate Sailors (2-E3, 1-E4) direction to go to McDonalds to get her something to eat date in a duty status.Then, she briefed all of them at duty section muster that no one was authorized to leave the confines of the ship on their duty for any designer to include press release to get something to eat. They all were aware this wasnt allowed but being that she told them, they thought that it must be right. on that point was no questioning attitude, just a yes Maam by every single one. I wanted her to take it one step further so I asked her to do something that would affect the sanctuary of Sailors and see how they responded. Would they conform? So, all her Sailors are required to wear protective head gear and spectacles due to the dry dock environment and the hazards associated. She went to quarters and directed them all to come back tomorrow with only their hard hats. She stated provide were no longer required.Not one person give tongue to anything when she gave this information out. No one questioned her but simply just went on about their days. The next day, over 75% of her personnel showed up without glasses. This was clearly a safety violation and could potentially have an move on their individual safety but because she was an authoritative figure, they accepted that risk and conformed to what she stated. It wasnt right but they did it anyway.After it was completed, she let them know that it was ok to question things that you thought werent right. She informed them about the study and stated that she was surprised so many had not followed their instincts and did the right thing. I wasnt quite so shocked by the results. I saw a lot of Sailors do things that arent necessarily right because someone higher ranking told them and instead of questioning them, and possibly getting in trouble, they jus t did it. So, the results she got didnt surprise me. In the military, its like the unspoken rulejust conform. Overall, this study was exactly what I thought it was going to be.In manysituations, we are uncertain how to think or act/ play off to those around us especially when its not the socially accepted norm. We tend to use the behavior and actions of others to dictate what were going to do. Informational social influence occurs because we conform using others as a address of information. Thats exactly what happened in my observation. No one stood up and said it was wrong so being that my wife told them it was right (she was the source of information), they did it Was it right, no This is where I think change needs to happen. Stand up for what you believe.Dont just be rebellious because you can but have a reason and stand by it. Find people who believe in the same thing that you believe in and take a stance. Her Sailors should have confided in one another and they all should have worn their glasses to muster knowing that it was their safety that they were protecting. All of them should have stood up to protect themselves

No comments:

Post a Comment